Saturday, May 1, 2010

SMT Verse #3

It's the 1st of May, so it's time to get the third verse in our little spirals and start memorizing!  Let's keep with it ladies...we don't want any quitters on our team. =)  If you haven't joined our Scripture Memory Team yet, you can go here to find out all about it.  We'd love to have you become a part of this awesome group as we are learning together and holding each other accountable. 

This time around I am going to memorize a verse that I often paraphrase but have never put to memory.   I want this written on my heart.  When the storms hit me from the outside and when the pity party rocks me from the inside, I want to be remember where my focus should be.

"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."  Philippians 4:8 (NASB)

Your turn.  Leave a comment and let us know what verse you will memorize this time around.  Remember to give us the verse, reference and version.  Feel free to let us know why you have chosen this verse if you'd like.   If you are having a problem choosing your verse, feel free to use this one or one someone else has chosen...either this time around or in the past.  Just look on the left under 'Labels' and choose 'SMT'.  Then take a look at the comments.

Keep with it ladies!  Oh, and if you'd like to share how God is using this in your life, we'd love to hear it.

Brittany

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the verses that appeal to me most have a lot to with the things God wants for me right at this time in my life. With my current circumstances, it would have been easy for me to look for specific verses that point to God’s provision. Instead what He is calling out to me are more about spiritual discipline and growth. I believe this is His way of saying that I need to continue to focus on becoming more like Him and He will take care of the rest.
I find when I wake up in the middle of the night instead of counting my curses, I begin to quote my current memory verse. I’ve also learned to replace those annoying tunes and worrying thoughts that keep rattling around in my head during the day with my memory verse. I am learning how to really treasure His word in my heart, and the extra benefits—I’m really learning His word, learning His principles to apply to my life, and enjoying the peace and joy that accompanies His truth.
Thank you for encouraging us to do this.
Here are my verses for the first of May:
James 3:8-10
But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of god; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.

Tammy said...

"The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart and the evil man brings evil out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks." Luke 6:45 NIV

Just found this a good reminder to be careful about the things I allow into my life and my home. Do these things produce good or evil in my heart?

Unknown said...

"But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint." Isaiah 41:31

............continuing to trust in the LORD. :)

Carrie P said...

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds - James 1:2

Zoila said...

All of your verses are exactly what I am needing right now!!

Tammy I am asking myself that question every day.

"Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavily burdened, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28 )

Nita DeSonier said...

Wow, Ladies, I have no idea what happened to me. I looked up and it is the 5th of May and I have yet to post my verse. I struggled with the last ones as they were long. But they were worth the effort. I also find myself going over my verses at night when my heart is restless. I've been reading Beth Moore's book "So Long, Insecurity you've been a bad friend to us" so most of my verses are coming from that. God is working on my life through this book. It is a good and challenging book if you get the urge to check it out.

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10 (NIV)

Hilary said...

Wow, I'm posting very late. However, I've been working on this one since the beginning of the month...

"Be joyful always, pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Unknown said...

Sorry, it is Isaiah 40:31 :-/