Saturday, August 18, 2012

Choosing Gratitude: 30 Day Challenge: Day 13






Day 13: Gratitude from Ground Zero
Scripture Reading: Psalm 43:1-5

The Psalms are a good place to camp out if your heart's desire is to be grateful--though not because they're filled with nothing by happy, upbeat sentiments.  It surprises many who embark on a journey of the Psalms to find that they vibrate with every emotion known to man.  They speak of back-breaking pressures, deep valleys of depression, times when life barely seems worth living.  And yet, as we see in today's reading, the Psalms reveal that the only ultimate answer to trouble, grief, pain, and loss is a constant returning to God in worship and gratitude.  Every other semi-solution proves empty and short-lived, incapable of infusing real hope into life's unbearable situations.

Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me?  Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and  my God" (Psalm 43:5).  "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever" (73:26).  "For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime.  Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes in the morning" (30:5).

Your heart my be crying out, "Oh God, let it be morning!"  Keep hoping in Him until the day finally dawns.  Even in the darkest night, you can still experience His peace and rest, knowing that the joy of morning is ahead.  Resolve not to let your joy level be determined by the presence or absence of storms, but by the presence of God.  Choose to be joyful in Him today.

GRATITUDE IN ACTION
Choose a few psalms--even if only at random--to read throughout the day today (aloud if possible).  See if they don't cause praise and thanks to well up in your heart.

No comments: