Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Choosing Gratitude: 30 Day Challenge: Day 24






Day 24: A Woman after God's Heart
Scripture Reading: Ruth 2:1-13

Speaking of good examples to follow, the biblical account of Ruth is one that I find particularly moving and instructive every time I read it.  Ruth was a woman with a humble heart--a trait we've identified as a companion virtue of gratitude.  She didn't claim her rights.  She didn't insist that Boaz provide her a living by letting her glean in his fields.  And because she relinquished her demands for certain expectations, she was able to be genuinely thankful when she actually did receive the blessing of his generosity.  Verses 10 and 13 are not a show of false flattery but the expressions of a heart operating out of humble gratitude.

Too many of us live with a chip on our shoulder, as if the world owes us something.  "You ought to do this for me.  You ought to serve me.  You ought to meet my needs."  But the humble heart--the grateful heart--says, "I don't deserve this, and it's an amazing act of grace that you should minister to my needs."

I once journaled the following prayer after meditating on Ruth's story: "O God, please take me back to see where You found me and where I would be today apart from You.  Please strip me of my proud, demanding ways and clothe me in meekness, humility, and gratitude.  Empty me of myself and fill me with the sweet, gracious nature of Jesus Christ."

Ruth just went out to serve with a humble, thankful heart.   And as a result, God made sure her needs were met.  He'll do the same for you.

GRATITUDE IN ACTION

  1. Who do you know who consistently exhibits a grateful spirit?  What is it about them that makes them so remarkable?  What can you learn from their example?
  2. Journal your own prayer in response to Ruth's example.  Ask God to help you exemplify Ruth's kind of character.

No comments: